Sunday, May 26, 2019

The difference between seeing and writing by Seyawash Qhasimy



The difference between seeing and writing by Seyawash Qhasimy 

Writing and interpreting situation is one of my greatest strengths that I have come to know when I was in junior high. 

When I am writing about something, I ask myself questions like, what is it that you see Seyawash, and what does seeing to do anything with writing. 

When I was in 10 grades my English teacher would always call me “ Seyawash , you always tend to gaze at things for period of times, what is it that you are trying to do. She must of thought I am some sort of wacko. I replied, I don’t know Mrs. J , but I feel like I can write for hours about your coffee mug on your table. She laughed, is that because of the coffee stain!? I replied that too, I am seeing many other functions beyond its normal use.

 Ever since I started to implement techniques to help me interpreting images, situations, peoples, good and bad news and write about them. Instead of looking for the sake of looking, I try to carefully put weight, deeper thoughts and open perceptions of what I am looking at. At first it might feel exhausting and time consuming, but believe me you will feel a much better observer and a writer once you have practiced enough these simple techniques. It should provide you with opportunities to sharpen your perception when looking at things and develop your abilities to write with clarity and insight.

Its my opinion that anyone who wants to become a better writer or see things beyond simple lens, they should cross train in seeing and writing. Think of it this way, 9 out of ten successful directors, photographers, artists employ simple techniques to capture and direct the audience`s attention. 

Techniques such, making observations, drawing inferences, asking simple questions like how would I feel if I was reading this peace of literature or looking at the image, who is it for and how should I earn their trust with my work. When writing something, look around you, I mean the visual technique, what do you see, what message does it convey, everything has a meaning its just you need to see it and interpret it to your cause.  This is how good writers build on their writing skills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment